Relics of the Past

Tuckerton Wireless

The Tuckerton Wireless had been the world’s eighth tallest structure when it razed in December 1955; a landmark to history falling in less than six seconds. It once rose 820 feet above the marshes in Mystic Island. The three-sided steel tower weighed 800 tons and was built in Germany. At the time, it was the second tallest radio tower in the world and the most powerful one in the United States. It went into operation in 1914 and was used to make the first direct transatlantic radio transmission. Before then, messages had to be relayed ship-to-ship across the ocean. The Tuckerton Historical Society reported that the tower was controversial because it had been made in Germany and the war started shortly after. Rumors abounded at the time that it was being used by spies to send messages. The Navy used the tower during World War II. It was later sold to RCA. The base of the tower now rests in front of the Historical Society, where more information and photos on the Wireless can be found.


The Blue Comet

On February 21, 1929, the pride of the Central Railroad of New Jersey’s fleet – the Blue Comet – came to life. It was billed as the Seashore’s Finest Train and took passengers from New York City to Atlantic City in three hours. The Blue Comet service was initially assigned three refurbished G3 Pacific locomotives with whistles that came from steamboats on the Mississippi River. The cars of the Blue Comet were painted Packard Blue for the sky, Royal Blue for the sea and along their sides, Jersey Cream for the sandy beaches. On the glass was an etched design of a comet, stars and clouds. The observation cars were furnished with two rows of twenty-four silver blue reed armchairs upholstered in blue plush, and blue carpets with a comet design in gold.

 

 

Atlantic City Raceway

The Atlantic City Raceway was built in 1926 on a portion of the former Amatol site and has been called the “Amatol Racetrack” by locals. The track was built at a cost of one million dollars and sponsored by Charles M. Schwab, Marshall R. Ward, H.E. Clark and S. D. Clark. The track was a steeply banked 1.5 mile long and 50 foot wide oval. It was built to handle speeds of 160mph. At the time, it was billed as “the fastest board track in the country.” For a short time, it was actually rated better than the Indianapolis 500.  The grandstand could hold 60,000 people and at time of its operation, a fifth of the United States population was located within 150 miles of the raceway.